…text in this article I'm reposting from Self Magazine. Self's final print edition will be Feb/2017.
Ballerina Misty Copeland spends hours every day dancing and training to make sure she's performance-ready. SELF's December cover girl…..
……who is the first African-American female principal dancer at American Ballet Theater (ABT), has picked up a few tricks over the years to keep herself happy and healthy.
In her cover story interview, 34-year-old Copeland disclosed her super intense schedule. "From 10:15 to 11:45 every morning is ballet class," she said.
"Then we rehearse from noon to seven, sometimes with a lunch break, sometimes not." At night she performs with the ABT.
Mondays are technically her day off, but she often has sponsor events to attend. So, how does she cope with such a gruelling schedule?
She also prioritizes making sure she gets enough rest. "Sleep. Sleep, sleep, sleep," she said.
"I’m really boring. I feel like I just kind of veg out on the couch when I get home, because I just need to not think. But sleep is so important for me."
She also carves out time for her mental health. While she doesn't typically have the time to sit down and meditate in the traditional sense……
……she centers herself while on the go, and recommends "finding moments in the day that are for yourself."
Here are Misty Copeland's five top tricks….
……for staying as healthy as possible, and how you can incorporate her advice into your own life.
1. She gets in the zone. Misty says: “Before every performance I take a moment to myself. Being able to visualize the best way to do something keeps me calm and prepared.”
2. She sticks to a routine. Misty says: “Even if I’m off from rehearsal, I try to be in ballet class every day, sometimes twice a day. When I’m not dancing, I take pilates or gyrotonics.”
3. She eats well. Misty says: “It’s not about dieting or depriving. I create healthy versions of my favorite foods. Last night I made baked salmon with a Sriracha marinade and quinoa.”
Do the same: Make sure you're fueling yourself properly. Read up on the best protein sources, know what healthy eating myths to avoid, and definitely don't skip any meals. Oh, and try to ditch the food guilt, too.
4. She hydrates. Misty says: “Most people don’t drink enough fluids. I mix Pedialyte with water. It’s a quick way to hydrate when you’re sweating a lot.”
5. She really loves ballet. Misty says: “It works every single part of you and builds a long, lean body. It targets the big muscles and the little ones that support them, too. Just go to ballet class, everybody!”
Misty By The Numbers
7–9 Hours Misty dances every day
50 Leotards in her closet
200 Bobby pins used in a week
2 Liters of water she drinks per day
10 Pairs of pointe shoes worn per week
you might also like…….
click here or photo below for
all my articles in "Girl Talk"Copyright Disclaimer: Right to use photos claimed under: Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for fair use for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use